Common Outrigger Paddling Terms
This post is primarily for those people who may be new to paddling outrigger canoes and who may not yet be fluent in “paddler” talk.
- Gunnel – n. The upper edge of the side of a vessel.
- Bow – n. the forward end of a vessel
- Stern – n. the back or rear part of a vessel
- Port – n. the left-hand side of a vessel
- Starboard – n. the right-hand side of a vessel
- Paddles up – the command to lift paddles to the “set” position
- Take it away – the command to begin paddling
- Draw left – the command for seats 1 and 2 to lean out to the left and pull the canoe left
- Hold the boat – the command to put your paddle in the water and hold it there to stop the boat
- Let it run – the command to stop paddling
- Easy – another command to stop paddling
- Ama -the outrigger float
- ‘iako -the bars that hold the ama to the canoe